Saturday, June 4, 2011

Rainbow Shawl


One of the things that our Pumpkin deals with is Sensory Processing Disorder so I came up with an idea that I hope other parents who have a loved one with SPD might find useful.

I made a "Calm Kit" and put together a bag of items that provide comfort to him. There's a lovey (a little beanie bull dog that looks just like him, lol), a weighted pad, a chewy, and I just finished knitting him the shawl.

He seeks out pressure and squeeze to help regulate some of his emotions, so with this comfort shawl, he can feel the warmth of the two ends, like arms holding him. Due to his sensitivity to textures in clothing, I couldn't use natural fibers, so a soft yarn called Homespun by Lion Brand was used. It's washable & easy care for when he gets sick. When he asked for a color combination of pink and white with some green and blue... this color, Tudor, proved to be the perfect rainbow of colors. And when I think of rainbows, I think of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment